Submissions open June 13, 2020. Deadline is Sunday, July 12, 2020 at 11:59 MST (AZ) (see more details below). Prizes awarded at ANWA's Writers Conference September 10 - 12, 2020.
$10 per entry
BOB CONTEST Categories:
- MIDDLE GRADE
- YOUNG ADULT GENERAL FICTION
- YOUNG ADULT FANTASY (HISTORICAL FANTASY / HIGH FANTASY / URBAN FANTASY)
- YOUNG ADULT SPECULATIVE (MAGICAL REALISM / SCI-FI / DYSTOPIA
- ADULT SPECULATIVE (FANTASY / SCI-FI / DYSTOPIA )
- ROMANCE (CONTEMPORARY / HISTORICAL)
- MYSTERY / SUSPENSE
- FICTION / HISTORICAL FICTION
- NONFICTION / MEMOIR
WHO MAY ENTER:
- All writers registered for the ANWA 2020 Writers Conference, published and unpublished, may enter. *Ineligible: All 2020 ANWA conference committee members, 2020 ANWA conference instructors and agented authors are ineligible to submit an entry for the BOB contest.
- All entries must be original and not previously accepted for publication or production at the time of submission.
- The conference committee members responsible for BOB are ineligible to submit an entry and are required to maintain anonymity of the judges and the competitors.
- Prizes will be awarded at the 2020 ANWA Conference on Friday, September 10, 2020.
- All entries will receive critiques from three separate judges.
- The critiques will be emailed directly to the contestants within two weeks of the conclusion of the ANWA Writers Conference.
- First, Second and Third place winners receive a cash prize.
- All first place prize winners are entered into the grand prize contest.
- Grand prize winner prize for 2020 to be determined. (Past prizes have included complete manuscript editing packages by Eshler Editing, cash, the following year’s conference registration, in addition to get-out-of-the-slushpile invitations from publishers and agents.)
- Mystery Prizes (donations by sponsors and generous community members)
HOW TO ENTER:
- You must register for conference before you enter the BOB Contest.
- All entries due by Midnight on Sunday, July 12, 2020 (MST/AZ time.)
- You will receive a personal response once your entry has been logged by those mananging the BOB Contest.
- Submit the first 500 words ONLY.
- Submit your BOB entry as an e-mail attachment, .doc or .docx format.
- Style Guide: Times New Roman, 12pt, and double spaced.
- Entries not submitted correctly before the deadline will lose points or may be disqualified.
- The subject of your email should include: Your name, TITLE of your work in all caps, and Contest Category (Genre.)
Example entry: Annie Anwa, THE BEST MANUSCRIPT EVER, Young Adult Fantasy (Urban Fantasy).
- Your document should be submitted and saved with the TITLE, in all caps, and Genre.
- Please remove any mention of your name from the actual manuscript portion of the attachment.
- *OPTIONAL* Once you've submitted your entry, let everyone know by saving one or more of the buttons below and posting to your social media!
- Note: The same submission cannot be entered into multiple genre categories in a single contest year. However, you are welcome to enter more than one submission into the contest.
Conference Committee reserves the right to disqualify any entry it believes contains obscene, offensive, or inappropriate content.
Conference Committee reserves the right to combine categories due to insufficient numbers of entries or split categories due to a high volume of entries.
This is a double blind contest, where the authors don't know the judges names and the judges don't know the authors names.
The names of the judges will not be disclosed.
Entrants must be current conference attendees to place and receive prizes. Entrants who cancel their conference registration after the submission deadline will still receive critiques, but will be ineligible to place.
TERMS & CONDITIONS: